At Holly Primary school, we aim to develop children’s skills and knowledge in design, structures, mechanisms, electrical control and a range of materials, including food. We encourage and nurture children’s creativity, imagination and innovation through design and exploration. Design and technology helps our children to become astute and informed future consumers and potential innovators. The skills learnt will also help with their learning across the curriculum.
At Holly, we explore various avenues in order to support our children and provide them with exciting experiences. The annual Healthy Eating Week, created by the British Nutrition Foundation teaches children to celebrate healthy living and make positive changes to their lifestyles. We aim to work alongside our own catering staff as well as the Nottinghamshire County Council Catering Team to instil a love of cooking in pupils.
- To develop the creative, technical and practical expertise needed to perform everyday tasks confidently and to participate in an increasingly technological world.
- To build and apply a repertoire of knowledge, understanding and skills for later in life.
- To critique, evaluate and test their ideas and products and the work of others.
- To understand and apply the principles of nutrition and learn how to cook.
- To be able to link and apply their design and technology skills across the curriculum.
- To promote resilience.
- To guide pupils to analyse and evaluate, design, make and reflect.
- To develop a sustainable mindset when choosing materials and ingredients so that they are used carefully, mindfully and with respect.
Each term, we use a range of methods to assess skills and knowledge attained by the children –
- Pupil Voice
- Three Thinkers Questions
- Book Looks
- Regular lesson feedback