At Holly Primary School, we aim to nurture children’s natural curiosity for science through exciting, inclusive and inspiring lessons. We strongly believe a high-quality science education provides the foundations for understanding the world. Our Science curriculum enables children to explore and discover the world around them, so that they have a deeper understanding of the wider world we live in.
We provide a broad range of experiences designed to provide pupils with a progression of scientific understanding, skills and knowledge throughout their time at Holly Primary School, including day trips to Science museums, use of our forest area in school and celebrating the subject through assemblies and Science days. Children are encouraged to understand how Science can be used to explain what is occurring, predict how things will behave, and analyse causes. We believe that these opportunities will ensure that our children are confident, life-long learners who will understand and explore the world around them.
- To develop children’s natural curiosity and inquisitiveness about the world we live in through learning about biology, chemistry and physics.
- To equip pupils with the skills and knowledge in order to think and work scientifically.
- To develop an understanding of scientific processes, implications and the world around them.
- To acquire and develop skills of questioning, problem solving, reasoning and evaluating through collaborative research and learning.
- To encourage pupils to be both open minded and critical in investigations and use their understanding of the world around them in a positive manner.
Each term, we use a range of methods to assess skills and knowledge attained by the children –
- Pupil Voice
- Three Thinkers Questions
- Book Looks
- Regular lesson feedback